Monday, June 8, 2009

How to train a Miniature Pinscher Dog to Stop Barking

People constantly ask how to train a miniature pinscher dog, or any dog for that matter, to stop barking. Well I have heard several ways but from what I have seen there is one way that makes sense more than the others.

In most cases a dog barks for a reason. There could be many reasons such as: it needs to go potty, it heard a noise it wasn't familiar with, or there is someone knocking. But when a dog it young it may bark just to hear itself. The trick is first to determine why the dog is barking before you try to stop it. If there is a valid reason you definitely do not want to teach them not to in that case.

The key is to teach the dog when it is ok to bark. Once you determine if the barking is justified, then you can train a dog to stop barking. To accomplish this you will need treats to distract and reward your dog. Once your dog starts barking, immediately grab a treat and hold it in front and tell them to hush, stop barking, or whatever phrase you would like to use. Start off with a very short time, say 5 seconds. After the dog has stopped barking for 5 seconds give them the treat. The next time repeat the same process just slowly increasing the time. Always remember to reward them for doing what you want, this is how the training is accomplished. Also, be sure not to raise your voice, they will not understand what you are saying and you will not get the results you are looking for.

I know there are other methods to stop a dog from barking and in some cases they may work, but this is the one I have chosen and it seems to work well as long as you practice patience.

Some people out there swear by a stop dog barking collar. I am sure this works but I feel this is inhumane. It teaches the dog not to do something out of fear, and a scared dog is not a happy dog. Other people may swat the dog to get them to stop barking, but this goes with the same principles as the collars.

So if you are trying to figure out how to train a dog to stop barking, be sure to try this first as it is safe and effective.
If you need info onhouse training a puppy look here for some great tips.

3 comments:

  1. These are some great tips for teaching any dog to stop barking. Some times a dog barking collar is a last resort. I have a dog that is scared of its own shadow, I used a citronella bark collar, that sprayed a mild scent. After a few days the nuisance barking was minimized. Worst side effect was the pleasant smell it left behind. No shock, no pain for the puppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hheheheheee! I've found a spraybottle of water does a really good job, too!

    I let my Min PIn, Chiquita, bark.. I know it's just her feeling her cheerios... but we had a problem with our dogs constantly barking at our neighbors. (We have 3 dogs, 2 large breed, and our minpin.) We've lived here for 3 years, and I'm sure the neighbors just hated to come out their door. So.... for 3 days, everytime they would bark at the neighbors, I would go out with my spray bottle, spray all of them, and say NO very assertively. It took 3 days of close watching and action, but now we rarely have problems with them barking at these specific neighbors.. YIPPEE! just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kind of post is always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I'm happy to find many good points here in your post. Writing is simply great! Thank you for the post.

    Kind Regards,

    Colin Seal
    dog barking collar

    ReplyDelete